POGOS Allowed To Reopen Says PAGCOR Amid ECQ
PAGCOR SAYS POGOS TO REOPEN – The Philippine government’s coronavirus task force allowed the operation of Philippine offshore gaming operators (POGOS).
Despite the enhanced community quarantine that suspended the operation of local businesses, the government decided to reopen POGOS. Moreover, this was confirmed by the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) chairman Andrea Domingo.
According to a report from CNN, Domingo had an online meeting with the members of the COVID-19 task force yesterday. In the meeting, the IATF approved the recommendation to reopen operations of POGOS.
She explained and insisted that POGOs were parts of the business process outsourcing (BPO) sector, not the gaming sector.
Since March 15, POGOs operation were suspended due to the advent of the coronavirus outbreak. Following this, President Duterte extended the Ehanced Community Quarantine to May 15.
Furthermore, he also began to ease restriction on several nonessential businesses. Additionally, the government allowed the BPO industry to resume operations starting Friday.
Domingo stated that online gambling services caters to individuals outside the Philippines may resume operations after finalizing documents and completing disinfection of offices.
Along with this, Presidential Spokesperson Harry Roque had previously emphasized that the reopening of POGOs could help fund the country in its battle against COVID-19.
However, the online gambling sector had previously had several controversies in the past. The Bureau of Internal Revenue earlier revealed that POGOs owed the country P27 Billion worth of uncollected liabilities.
Thus, Senators such as Risa Hontiveros filed a resolution to block POGOs from continuing operations. She added that the POGOs should be made liable to pay overdue taxes worth P50 billion to add to the country’s coronavirus response.
Thanks for reading! Like this article?
READ ALSO: Drilon Calls PAGCOR ‘Stupid’ For Allowing POGO In PH For Money