What Are Oviparous Animals? Definition And Meaning
OVIPAROUS ANIMALS – In this topic, we are going to know and learn about oviparous animals, the definition and examples.
To put it simply, these are animals that reproduce by laying eggs. It’s counterpart are viviparous animals, which give birth to living young ones
The eggs that most animals living on land reproduce are covered and protected by hard shells. These animals fertilize the eggs internally.
In the case of sea creatures, they already lay eggs that haven’t fertilized yet. Males will do the process of external fertilization by laying their sperm on top of the egg.
- These usually lay one or two eggs. Chances of survival are lower compared to mammals. These spend much time taking care of the egg and their children.
- These include salamanders, frogs, and newts. Amphibians can survive in and out of the water. However, they need to remain most at all times.
- These include crocodiles, snakes, lizards and turtles. These are meant to live on land or in water. They usually do not tend their nests but attacks anyone that stay too close to it.
- Females usually expel their eggs in small holes or aquatic plants. the males release the sperms onto the eggs.
- This includes myriapods, crustaceans, arachnids, and hexapods. There are those that lay internally and there are others that lay eggs externally.