Here are the symptoms and causes of abdominal muscle strain and ways to treat this
ABDOMINAL MUSCLE STRAIN – This condition is also called pulled muscle and can be really painful. Here are its causes, symptoms, and treatment.
- soreness or tenderness
- pain or discomfort when touching the abdomen
- muscle spasms
- difficulty stretching the muscle
- pain when moving or stretching
- pain after an injury or excessive exercise
- exercising the abdomen excessively
- not warming up properly before exercise or strenuous activity
- using the incorrect technique during exercise
- incorrect lifting of heavy objects
- suddenly twisting the body from the core
- violently sneezing or coughing
Based on the article from Medical News Today, the pain can be treated through plenty of rest and by avoiding strenuous exercise or exertion. However, when these symptoms occur, you must see the doctor immediately:
- sudden, lasting pain in the abdomen
- worsening pain
- a red and very tender bulge in the groin
Abdominal muscle strain can be treated by resting the muscle until it recovers. When the pain is felt during physical activity, it is better to stop and do these things:
- wrap an ice pack in a towel or cloth
- apply the pack to the abdomen for 20 minutes
- repeat 2–3 times each day
You can also seek the help of a healthcare professional to give you specific stretching activities to help your muscles recover. Heat can also help relax the muscle by having a hot compress for 10-15 minutes at a time, just be sure that there is no swelling.
Mild abdominal muscle strain can heal in a few weeks, while it will take 4-6 weeks for a more serious pulled muscle to heal, based on the article.