Heritage Churches In Pampanga Were Temporarily Closed For Inspection Following The Recent Earthquake
HERITAGE CHURCHES – 24 heritage churches in San Fernando, Pampanga were closed to undergo structural inspection after Monday earthquake.
Recently, the local council of Pampanga discussed and agreed to declare the town under state of calamity. This is to allow the state to use its calamity fund to assist residents affected by the quake.
This information was confirmed by the Mayor of Porac Municipality Condralito Dela Cruz.
Currently, the 24 heritage churches are kept close waiting to be inspected by experts to know if the structures and foundations were loosened by the earthquake.
This is based on an article from Philstar. According to the article,
Parish priest Fr. Francis Dizon confirmed the temporary closure of one of churches in his statement during a conversation with STAR where he stated:
“Holy Rosary Church in Angeles is closed for the meantime for a thorough inspection.”
Masses are held in other venues where it’s safe, as the churches are being closed temporarily.
Sta. Catalina de Alejandria Church, also located in Porac (where the devastating Chuzon supermarket incident happened) was built way back in the 1860s. It was also badly damaged by the earthquake.
Meanwhile, regular masses normally held in Sr. Maria Garcia of the Apu Mamacalulu Shrine, are now carried outdoors as people are waiting for the city engineer’s confirmation of safety.
San Agustin Church was also found to be unsafe. Its bell tower reportedly collapsed and its floors and foundations were also cracked.
As recommended by Archdiocesan Commission on Church Heritage Secretariat, working in collaboration with engineering experts and government agencies, the following churches are closed for inspection:
- Holy Rosary Parish in Angeles City,
- Nuestra Señora de Gracia Parish in Mabalacat,
- San Bartolome Apostol Parish in Magalang
- San Agustin in Lubao,
- Sta. Lucia in Sasmuan,
- Immaculada Concepcion in Guagua;
- Santiago Apostol or Betis Church in Guagua,
- San Jose Labrador in Floridablanca,
- Sta. Catalina de Alexandria in Porac,
- Sta. Rita de Cascia in Sta. Rita
- Metropolitan Cathedral City in San Fernando,
- Sta. Catalina Alexandria in Arayat,
- San Guillermo in Bacolor,
- Sta. Monica in Mexico,
- Sta. Ana Parish in Sta. Ana,
- San Vicente Ferrer in Calulut, San Fernando.
- San Pedro Apostol in Apalit,
- San Andres in Candaba,
- San Nicolas de Tolentino in Macabebe,
- San Miguel Arkanghel in Masantol,
- Sta. Monica in Minalin,
- San Luis Gonzaga in San Luis,
- Nuestra Señora del Pilar in San Simon and,
- Sto. Tomas Apostol in Sto. Tomas.
That is all there is to it, at least for now. We’ll post updates as soon as we got them.