One of the country’s most prestigious award-giving bodies in the Philippine entertainment industry, the Gawad Urian Awards by the Manunuri ng Pelikulang Pilipino named the official list of the winners of the 39th edition of Gawad Urian. The awarding ceremony was held on Wednesday night, June 22, 2016 at the Kia Theater in Cubao, Quezon City.
The critically acclaimed biopic featuring the life story of one of the most brilliant generals in the Philippine revolution, “Heneral Luna” dominated the awarding ceremony by finishing the night with the most number of awards. The movie garnered a total of four major awards in the Gawad Urian.
Jerrod Tarog, the man behind the historical biopic “Heneral Luna” brought home the “Best Director” award, one of the four citations given to the most popular historical movie in the Philippine movie industry.
Kapamilya actor and veteran star John Lloyd Cruz bagged his first Best Actor win on his remarkable performance in the movie “Honor Thy Father.” LJ Reyes was named as Best Actress for her performance in the movie “Anino sa Likod ng Buwan.”
The movie by internationally-acclaimed Brillante Mendoza featuring the story of the three surviving families a year after Super Typhoon Yolanda, titled “Taklub” (Trap) won the Best Picture award. Taklub stars veteran actress Nora Aunor together with Julia Diaz, Lou Veloso and Aaron Rivera.
The 39th Gawad Urian was hosted by Iza Calzado, Zoren Legaspi, and Butch Francisco. The Gawad Urian ceremony also celebrated the works of cinematographer Romy Vitug, who was recognized with the Lifetime Achievement Award.
Official List of Winners of the 39th Gawad Urian Awards:
- Best Picture: “Taklub”
- Best Actor: John Lloyd Cruz for his role in “Honor Thy Father”
- Best Actress: LJ Reyes for “Anino sa Likod ng Buwan”
- Best Director: Jerrold Tarog for “Heneral Luna”
- Natatanging Gawad Urian (Lifetime Achievement Award): Romy Vitug
- Best Cinematography: Pong Ignacio for “Heneral Luna”
- Best Screenplay: Robby Tantingco for “Ari: My Life with a King”
- Best Production Design: Ben Payumo for “Water Lemon”
- Best Editing: Jerrold Tarog for “Heneral Luna”
- Best Music: Jake Abella for “Ari: My Life with a King”
- Best Sound: Mikko Quizon for “Heneral Luna”
- Best Documentary Film: Sheron Dayoc’s “The Crescent Rising”
- Best Short Film: Angelie Mae Macalanda’s “Wawa”
- Best Supporting Actress: Ana Abad Santos for “Apocalypse Child”
- Best Supporting Actor: Bernardo Bernardo for “Imbisibol”