A tragic incident unfolded as a three-year-old girl succumbed to a cobra bite inside their bathroom in Catarman, Northern Samar.
The child was bitten on her foot by the snake. She was rushed to a traditional healer, but unfortunately, she passed away while en route. The child’s father managed to kill the snake, believed to be a Samar cobra, a venomous species found in the country.
Toddler Lost Her Life After Being Bitten by Cobra in Northern Samar
3-Year-Old Toddler Succumbs to Snake Bite in Samar
A toddler lost her life after she fell victim to a cobra’s bite inside their bathroom in Catarman, Northern Samar.
Snakebite happens when a snake injects venom into a person’s skin using its fangs. Snakes use their venom to paralyze prey or defend themselves when threatened.
Snakebite severity varies according to the species of snake, the amount of venom injected, and the location of the bite on the body. Symptoms of a snakebite can include pain, swelling, redness, bruising, and in severe cases, difficulty breathing, paralysis, or even death.
Recently, the father of a three-year-old victim recounted hearing his daughter cry out in pain. Upon checking on her, the child reported being bitten by a snake on her foot. They attempted to rush the child to a traditional healer, but tragically, she passed away while they were still on the way.
The man managed to kill the snake, believed to be a Samar cobra, a venomous species found in the country. Residents of Toledo City, Cebu, recently killed two king cobras they spotted last week out of fear that they might also pose a threat to their community.
Photos of the two dead cobras were shared on social media last Thursday (February 8, 2024). The snakes were initially found in the grass. Due to concerns about potential snake bites, especially with children around, residents decided to eliminate the threat by killing the snakes.
This isn’t the first time residents have encountered king cobras in their barangay. Barangay officials will gather to discuss protocols for handling such situations in the future.
The Department of Environment and Natural Resources-Region 7 has urged the public to report snake sightings to them and to refrain from harming the creatures if possible. It’s important to prioritize safety while coexisting with wildlife.
In another post, a young lady passes away while taking bath due to snakebite in Guinobatan, Albay
The social media users expressed their reactions to the post: