WHAT IS A MODAL VERB – Here is the meaning of modal verb and an explanation on how it is used in a sentence.
Verbs come in different types and serve different purposes. In this article, we will discuss the definition of modal verb, its examples, and how they are used in a sentence.
Modal Verbs – What Is A Modal Verb and How To Use It In A Sentence
Here are some things to know about modal verbs and their usage.
MODAL VERBS – The definition and usage of modal verbs as they can be confusing to use in constructing a sentence.
The modal verbs are auxiliary verbs or helper verbs that are used together with the main verb. They are oftentimes tricky to be used in a sentence but knowing their specific uses will make things easier for sure.
Below are the frequently used ones that when used in a statement, it can change the entire course of the thought:
Here are the uses with examples:
- LIKELIHOOD (should, must)
- She must be so proud of her boyfriend.
- I should work on Saturday.
- You should help your friends.
- POSSIBILITY (could, may, might)
- You might get hurt again if you take him back.
- You may call me at 9.
- I might go later if there’s no meeting at the office.
- ABILITY (cannot, can’t)
- I can’t answer the phone.
- You can’t make me eat that.
- Tom can’t meet me on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
- ASKING PERMISSION (can, may, could)
- May I go out?
- Can you say it out loud?
- Can you lend me some money?
- REQUEST (will, would, can, could)
- Will you take these books to the library?
- Would you rather die than love me?
- Can you throw the garbage?
- COMMAND (must, have to, need to)
- You have to go to school.
- I need to attend to some important matters on Monday.
- Lyn must answer the phone or else!
- SUGGESTION (should, could)
- There’s a new restaurant outside the company, we should try it!
- I should go somewhere to forget him.
- We could take the early bus tomorrow.
- HABIT (would, will, used to)
- I would fall asleep to the sound of the rain.
- I will always wait for you.
- She used to smile a lot but since her mother died, everything changed.
- Philippine Music – Influences Of The Music In The Philippines
- Compound Words – When Is It Closed, Open, Or Hyphenated?
What can you say about this? Let us know!