Onyok Velasco reveals something about pledges to him following the flooding of rewards for Hidilyn Diaz after she bagged the gold medal in the Olympics.
HIDILYN DIAZ – Olympics gold medalist Hidilyn Diaz is set to receive a lot of prizes and Onyok Velasco has this revelation during his time.
Philippine’s Hidilyn Diaz bagged the gold medal in the women’s 55-kilogram category defeating Chinese weightlifter and world record holder Liao Qiuyun. She made 97-127-224 defeating her by 1 kilogram. The Chinese athlete took home the silver medal while Kazakhstan’s Zulfiya Chinshanlo took with her the bronze medal. Diaz broke the over 9 decades drought of the country.
And below are just some of the few rewards she’s going to enjoy after all her hard work and sacrifices:
- ₱10 million from government through Republic Act 10699 or the National Athletes and Coaches Benefits and Incentives Act
- ₱10 million pledged by San Miguel Corporation President and CEO Ramon Ang
- ₱10 million pledged by business tycoon Manny Pangilinan through the MVP Sports Foundation
- ₱3 million pledged by Deputy Speaker Mikee Romero of 1-PACMAN Party-list
- ₱2.5 million from the local government of Zamboanga City, Diaz’s hometown
- ₱5 million cash and free fuel for life from Siklab Atleta Sports Foundation head and Phoenix Petroleum chair Dennis Uy
- ₱4-million house and lot at any PHirst Park Homes community of her choice from Century Properties
- ₱14-million residential condominium unit in Eastwood, Quezon City from Megaworld
- House and lot in Tagaytay from Philippine Olympic Committee President Bambol Tolentino
- Lifetime free flights from AirAsia
- 80,000 free miles per year for life from Philippine Airlines
And athlete Mansueto ‘Onyok’ Velasco has also received the same special treatment when he was able to bag the silver medal in boxing during the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. He has received a lot of pledges but in his recent revelations, all of those remained just pledges. He wasn’t able to receive all those rewards pledged to him including the Php 2.5 million of cash that is supposed to be from Congress.
The pledge of a lifetime Php 10,000.00 monthly allowance from a businessman also didn’t happen as it was only effective for a year. Also, the pledged scholarships from the Philippine Navy for his children were not granted. And while he received the pledged house and lot to him, the property remained to be not under his name. His only now is for the property to be finally named under him.
Happy about Diaz’s win, he expressed, “Yung kay Hidilyn, sana matupad lahat para hindi lang si Hidilyn, yung iba pang gustong maging athletes na kabataan, magpursige rin na ganun pala kalaki yung mga ibinibigay.”
Following his Olympic win, he focused on his family and what he just hopes now is for the athletes to receive enough incentives for them to be more inspired during training. He believes that this will also fuel them to do better to be able to bring more pride to the country.
He also shared this joke when he did not receive most of the rewards pledged to him based on GMA report, “Joke joke namin lagi, pinganakuan ka na, gusto mo pa tuparin pa. Dapat matuwa ka na kasi pinangakuan ka na eh.”
- Joy Belmonte Poster for Hidilyn with Her Large Image Allegedly Fake
- Willie Revillame Pays Tribute To Hidilyn After Her Olympic Win
What can you say about this? Let us know!