House decided to do this regarding ABS-CBN Franchise
ABS-CBN Franchise – House leadership decided to forego with the provisional franchise of the network due to this reason.
To recall, House Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano sponsored the House Bill 6732 granting the provisional franchise of the giant TV network after it signed off due to the cease and desist order from the National Telecommunications Commission.
According to the bill, 10 percent of the paid commercial of ABS-CBN will be allocated for the “adequate public service time”. This will be dedicated to relaying important public issues that will be used more in times of calamities.
Based on the previous report, Cayetano aimed to pass the HB 6732 on third and final reading on Monday, May 18, 2020. However, on May 19, Tuesday reports stated that the House Leadership already decided to abandon the provisional franchise of ABS-CBN which is supposed to be until October 31, 2020.
Based on the report from CNN Philippines, the House will proceed to hearings for the fresh 25-year franchise of the network.
Previously, it was stated that ABS-CBN is losing P30-35 million everyday since it stopped its broadcast. This is one of the reasons why Kapamilya stars are making a loud buzz on social media – for the “11,000 employees”.
Ina recent report, ABS-CBN President and Chief Operating Officer Carlo Katigbak said that it will be a devastating scenario for them to dismiss their workers amid the network’s shutdown.
“We felt it would be very, very painful to put our employees out on the street without them having an idea as to how they can continue earning a living and continue to feed their families,” Katigbak said in a statement.
What can you say about this?