Richard Quan Shares His Experience as Volunteer Amid COVID-19 Crisis
Veteran actor Richard Quan shares his experience in helping fellow citizens during an enhanced community quarantine in Luzon.
Recently, Richard Quan, 48, became a trending topic last week because he became emotional while seeking for help from fellow artists on a radio program. This is because of his contribution on helping our fellow countrymen affected by the COVID-19 and enhanced community quarantine in Luzon.
Richard is among those considered “frontliners” for volunteering and helping greatly affected of the crisis. With the help of Volunteer Corps — comprised of celebrities and non-showbiz friends — provide assistance, food packs, and other needs of the poor.
Meanwhile, in a report of PEP.ph, they tried to have an interview with the actor. But the actor refuses and explains that he is uncomfortable with the interview. He also doesn’t want to come off as “self-promotion.”
Richard told PEP that he was “mentally and psychologically drained” because he was out every day, which he called a “battlefield.” He also added that people on showbiz know the various ways he has helped in the past, but he still doesn’t want to let them write it.
PEP sent him a message via Facebook private messaging, asking where he was and if he could be called, he quickly replied, “Nasa field, why?” When PEP said that they were going to interview her, the actor responded: “Pucha! Kala ko me emergency ka! Ha ha! Lahat ng tawag sa akin, ganun ngayon.”
On March 30, days after they send a message, the actor responded to the questions. PEP received the actor’s response to the questions sent to him. “Is he not afraid of his exposure outside of the desire to help?”
Richard said, “Mas nangingibabaw yung desperate na situation ng kababayan natin. “Matagal na akong nag-a-outreach, pero ngayon lang ako naka-experience ng ganito ka-worst… Pero, expected ko na kaya hindi na ako nagdalawang-isip.”
“Because he sees the real situation out there, what are the needs of the people in this crisis of COVID-19?”
Richard said it would take two to three hours if he met all the needs. But, he said, “Iiklian ko na lang: Food! “Pero yung mga street people, food at shelter ang kailangan nila. “Sa kabuuan, mass COVID testing. Hangga’t hindi nate-test, hindi maa-assess ang situation,” he added.
Meanwhile, calls out netizens to stop spreading fake news on social media. He said the problem is, as seen on social media is different or far from the actual situation or happening.
“And yung sa social media people, please show compassion,” he said. “Be sensitive sa post, be responsible sa post. Like yung mga fake news, sana iwasan na lang or wag nang mag-post,” he added.
What can you say about this article? Just feel free to leave your reactions in the comment section.