What Is The Palawan Province? About The Province In Luzon
PALAWAN PROVINCE – In this topic, we will now know about the archipelagic province in the Philippines called the Palawan province.
Palawan is an archipelagic province in the Mimaropa region in Luzon.
It is composed of the main island which is the fifth largest island in the Philippines, and 1,780 islands surrounding it which includes:
- Calamianes Group of Islands
- Balabac Island
- Cuyo Islands
- Spratly Islands
Its capital is Puerto Princesa City and has a landmass of about 14 million kilometers squared or 5.6 square miles.
The dialects in Palawan include:
- Aborlan Tagbanwa
- Calamian Tagbanwa
- Central Tagbanwa
According to Holiday to Palawan, the name Palawan may be derived from the following:
- Pa La Yu
- A Chinese term which means the “and of beautiful harbors”
- An Indian term which means territory
- The natives of the main island named it after a plant.
- A Spanish term for umbrella, which fits the island due to its umbrella-like shape.
Cities and Municipalities of Palawan
- Mainland Palawan
- Brooke’s Point
- El Nido
- Puerto Princessa (Capital)
- San Vicente
- Sofronio Española
- Islands of Palawan