DA: African Swine Fever Subsides, Pork Is Safe To Eat
DA – The Department of Agriculture recently sid that the African Swine Fever outbreak subsided, thus, “pork is safe to eat”.
A report from ABS-CBN states that the ASF, which results to fever in infected pigs, eventually killing them, cannot infect humans and other animals.
Agriculture spokesperson Noel Reyes, then, said that pork is “safe” to eat. Department of Health (DOH) earlier this month urged the public to prepare and cook pork thoroughly in order to avoid the disease.
The authorities, then, gathered at about 7,000 hogs in order to prevent the spread of ASF, which as of now, has no cure or vaccine.
Several local government units and an environmental group earlier said on Tuesday that they urged the public not to dump dead pigs on waterways. This was in responsed to several dead pigs floating in waterways, including Marikina River.
Those who dumped the carcasses will be charged due to violation of RA 9003 and RA 9275 or the Ecological Solid Waste Management Act ad the Clean Water Act, respectively.
As per the report, the agriculture agency said that pork makes up 60% of meat consumption in the country. They deduced that the disease came from the leftover foods that backyard hog raisers fed to the pigs.
Pork prices begin to increas to 50% in China and Chicago futures exchange, according to a statement from the UN’s Food and Agricultural Organization in May.
What do you think? How will you react to this? Let us know more about it.
Check out our latest news at philnews.ph