Western Visayas Is The Most Disaster-Resilient Region In The Philippines, Harvard Study Says
WESTERN VISAYAS – A study conducted in Harvard shows that Philippines’ Region VI or Western Visayas is the most disaster-resilient region in the country.
According to ABS-CBN News, the study, which was conducted by the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative (HHI) Program on Resilient Communities used the following aspects: preparedness, adaptability, coping, and recovery as measures for disaster resilience.
HHI further described these aspects as a measure of the population’s ability to react and adapt to the changes in the environment, may it be sudden or gradual, and to the various types of risk that they will face.
Here is the list of the top ten most disaster-resilient regions:
- Western Visayas (Region VI) -144
- Ilocos (Region I) – 140
- Eastern Visayas (Region VIII) -138
- Mimaropa (Region XVII) – 137
- Bicol (Region V) – 136
- Caraga (Region XIII) – 136
- Cagayan Valley (Region II) – 131
- Davao (Region XI) – 131
- Cordillera Administrative Region (Region XV) – 126
- Soccskargen (Region XII) – 122
The two least disaster-resilient regions are the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM | Region XVI) and the Zamboanga Peninsula (Region IX).
As per the report, the study also made a list of regions that have high post-disaster assistance who also reported the list above. Here is the list of the top 10 regions that have high post-disaster assistance.
- Eastern Visayas (Region VIII) – 92%
- Western Visayas (Region VI) – 88%
- Bicol (Region V) – 87%
- Ilocos (Region I) – 83%
- Caraga (Region XIII) – 75%
- Cagayan Valley (Region II) – 70%
- Calabarzon (Region IV-A) – 65%
- Mimaropa (Region XVII) – 64%
- Central Visayas (Region VII) – 63%
- Central Luzon (Region III) – 61%
As usual, the two least regions is BARMM withh 37% and the Zamboanga Peninsula with 21%.
Here is the PDF copy of the study from HHI
What do you think? Let us know about it.